Thursday, September 18, 2008

Contractions

Read the definition of a contraction with your teacher and learn it.
A contraction is one word made from two words. One or more letters are taken out. They are replaced with an apostrophe (’).
Read the contractions with your teacher. Copy the contractions and learn them.
he’s = he is ____________________
she’s = she is ____________________
I’m = I am ____________________
I’ll = I will ____________________
it’s = it is ____________________
isn’t = is not ____________________
don’t = do not ____________________
didn’t = did not ____________________
doesn’t = does not ____________________
can’t = cannot ____________________
won’t = will not ____________________

For example,
I’ve = I have it’s = it is, it has can’t = can not we’ll = we will let’s = let us
The apostrophe (’) takes the place of the missing letters.
. Write the two words that each underlined contraction stands for:
It’s time to go to the dentist.
I’ll meet you on the front steps.
What’s taking you so long?
I’ve been waiting for ages.
You’ll make us late.
Don’t stop to put on your coat.
I can’t wait any longer. We’re going to be late.
I’m mad, and the dentist will be, too.
She’s a good dentist.
Let’s go!

Read the contractions with your teacher. Copy the contractions and learn
them.
wasn’t = was not ____________________
aren’t = are not ____________________
hasn’t = has not ____________________
haven’t = have not ____________________
hadn’t = had not ____________________
I’ve = I have ____________________
there’s = there is ____________________
they’re = they are ____________________
couldn’t = could not ____________________
here’s = here is ____________________
that’s = that is ____________________
let’s = let us ____________________
who’s = who is ____________________
you’re = you are ____________________

Draw a line from the words to the matching contraction. Read the contraction.

you would ---------- they'ed
she would ---------- you'd
they would ---------- we'd
we would ---------- she'd
would not ---------- he'd
could not ---------- couldn't
should not ---------- wouldn't
he would ---------- shouldn’t
will not ---------- don't
do not ---------- hasn't
has not ---------- hadn't
had not ---------- won’t
I would ---------- I'd
I will ---------- it's
I have ---------- I'll
it is ---------- I’ve

No comments: